Kissing a fish after reeling it in is an old tradition among anglers which, according to some, brings luck. Luck however was conspicuous by its absence for the 28 year old man who had to be resuscitated on Boscombe pier in Bournemouth after the Dover sole he caught took the opportunity of a peck on the lips to jump down the fisherman’s throat. Swallowing the six inch fish caused the man to stop breathing and suffer a cardiac arrest. Luckily the man was not alone and his friends, who are members of Boscombe Pier Sea Anglers, performed CPR until the emergency services arrived. The paramedics took the decision to first remove the fish using forceps before taking the victim to hospital. As ambulanceman Matt Harrison explains, it was no easy task as the Dover sole’s barbs and gills were well and truly stuck: “It was clear that we needed to get the fish out or this patient was not going to survive the short journey to Royal Bournemouth Hospital. I was acutely aware that I only had one attempt at getting this right as if I lost grip or a piece broke off and it slid further out of sight then there was nothing more that we could have done to retrieve the obstruction.” Thankfully, the paramedics successfully removed the fish in one piece and then managed to restart the man’s heart. “We’re all so glad the patient has no lasting effects from his cardiac arrest, which could so easily have had such a tragic and devastating outcome.” Lucky man, not so sure about the fish though.