It is not unheard of for dogs to get frightened by fireworks. Most run for cover with their tails between their legs and cower under a table or chair until it is all clear. Not Taba from Watford, who got so “spooked”, she jumped out of a first floor window from her home onto the roof of a conservatory before getting trapped between two walls. Wedged in head first in a just six inch gap, the frightened pooch was stuck for several hours before she was finally spotted by a woman in her back garden. But that was not the end of her ordeal for Taba was so well and truly stuck that the fire service had to be called. In all it took firefighters three hours to free Taba using ropes to pull her out and it is just as well they did as RSPCA inspector Rachel Smith, who helped with the rescue, explains: “Taba, who isn’t a small dog, ran into the gap head-first, possibly because she was spooked by fireworks – she barely had room to breathe.” It turns out Taba had escaped from her home the day before she was found while her owners had been out. Aside from saw paws, Taba emerged from the ordeal unscathed and has since been reunited with her owners. “She is now at home safe and well and a little more subdued than normal,” said Ms Smith. In addition to the fire service and the woman who called them, it seems Taba has another group to thank for her rescue: “Taba was very lucky to have been found in the first place. The lady who called us only found Taba stuck down the side of her conservatory after her cats started to act strangely in the garden”, added Ms Smith. A dog saved by cats? The editor has heard it all now.
November 26, 2017